Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Gone but not forgotten

I haven't posted anything lately because I've been way too busy. My brother is here in Buenos Aires, visiting me from Seattle. Prior to his arrival, I arranged lodging for him as well some other things to make his trip a success. Since he arrived, I've been burning the candle at both ends, showing him around the city as well as keeping up the essentials of our normal lives. I've been taking some photos and video as we run around doing touristy things so when I get some free time or after my brother goes home, I should have plenty of stuff to post for a while.

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you have probably noticed some changes in the past couple of weeks. There's a new style and color scheme as well as some new panels and gadgets on the page, such as a live chat module and polls so you can participate along with me. I'm kind of throwing things against the wall to see what sticks. If nobody appears to be using the new toys, they'll undoubtedly get dropped sometime in the future.

It all started when Luciano went manic on me. He wanted me to add a feature to automatically translate the blog into Spanish since his English is pretty basic. He's pretty enthusiastic about HTML, Java, and all those other things and loves to spend time updating his commercial website. So he started tinkering with the code for my blog pages and by the time he was finished, I wasn't sure what had changed or how stable it would be. Rather than try to revert back to the original, I went with a whole new template and added the enhanced features. So it all turned out well in the end.


In the meantime, enjoy this video of Sandra Mihanovich. She's a celebrated Argentinian singer, a lesbian, and she's been out for a couple of decades or more. She has an interesting history. During the military dictatorship (1976-1983), she skated on thin ice, as the repressive conservatives of the junta wanted to eliminate her. However, she comes from a well-connected family and their status protected her from becoming one of the desaparecidos (disappeared ones). She sang duets with one of her lovers and her songs are often about boy-boy or girl-girl love and the societal struggles that go along with it.

No comments: