Saturday, April 21, 2007

Flat broke

Monday turned into hell. I used my ATM card on Sunday to withdraw some cash and then went on a shopping spree for some essentials: groceries, toiletries, cell phone, household items, etc. By Monday I had only 18 pesos left (about $5 US). I went to the bank again to withdraw more cash and the ATM said it couldn't complete the transaction and to try again later. I went to another bank and this time it said my card was invalid.

I had phoned my bank's headquarters twice before I left to tell them I would be in Argentina and therefore ATM transactions should not be considered suspicious. I also visited my local branch to inform them. I was assured all three times that it was noted on my account and there would be no problems. Of course, it was a huge problem when they automatically cancelled my card after the first use.

I emailed the bank and got back canned replies from underpaid, underwhelmed employees who kept telling me to call their toll-free number or visit the nearest branch (5000 miles away!). They never acknowledged my protests that "toll-free" means nothing here, it would still cost more than my 18 pesos to make that call if it lasted more than a few minutes.

I have a VOIP (internet) phone with me from VoicePulse. It gives me a 323 (Los Angeles) phone number and I can make or receive calls exactly as if I were still in California. However, my short-term apartment here is wired for the net through a router and I haven't been able to get my router (needed for the VOIP phone) to talk to their router. Fortunately, a friend suggested connecting my phone directly and it worked through their router. After several phone calls and a few tirades, which is not my customary style, the bank promised to restore my card. I tried it Tuesday and so far, so good. I'm still mad about it though...what part of "I will be using my ATM card in Argentina" didn't they understand?

Sadly, this isn't a fluke. My new American friend here, Aaron, had the exact same thing happen on Tuesday. He'd pre-advised his bank and they promptly cancelled his card after he used it once here. I've talked to other people who had the same experience. So if traveling abroad, be prepared for this and have a backup plan, apparently it's a common problem.

No comments: